MONHEGAN ARTISTS' RESIDENCY 2022 APPLICATION FORM
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
The Monhegan Artists’ Residency Program is open to visual artists who live in, or have significant ties to the state of Maine. Artists working in all visual art media including painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, photography, digital, video, or other new media, are welcome to apply. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and not enrolled in a degree program.
2022 Residency Dates:
Friday, May 27 - Thursday, June 30
Friday, July 1 - Friday, July 15 (only for K-12 Maine art teachers)
Sunday, September 4 - Sunday, October 9
Karen Francomano, artist, editor, and writer, associate director of advancement, Farnsworth Art Museum
Mary Kordak, professor of art history at The University of New Haven, Connecticut
Kelly McConnell, artist and educator, former chair of the Master of Arts in Teaching Program at Maine College of Art
The Monhegan Artists’ Residency application forms are at the bottom of this page (please scroll all the way down).
Applications will be accepted starting January 15, 2022
The submission deadline is March 19, 2022.
The applicants selected by the jury for the Artists’ Residencies will be announced no later than April 19.
The Submittable application (below) will ask for:
1. Full contact information including a link to your website if you have one
2. Type of residency you are applying for (5-week artist’s residency or 2-week artist-teacher residency) and preferred dates (which of the two 5-week residencies do you prefer?)
3. An artist’s statement that reflects your artistic vision and expectation of what you would like to accomplish during the Monhegan residency (300 word limit; acceptable formats: DOC, DOCX or PDF file) Please include your ties to Maine in this statement.
4. A brief statement describing your significant ties to Maine (75 word limit; acceptable formats: DOC, DOCX or PDF file)
5. A one-page résumé including a link to your website if you have one (acceptable formats: DOC, DOCX or PDF file)
6. Examples of your art work (guidelines and formats below)
§ Limit of six images of art work (JPG format, 1920 pixels on the longest side, 72 dpi)
§ All art work must have been completed within the past 18 months
§ Acceptable media include, but are not limited to, painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, photography, digital, video, or other new media. Keep in mind the limitations of working on a remote island where there are space and capacity limitations in the Residency studios and no darkroom facilities.
§ Label each image with Last name_First name_Image number
§ Provide a description of each image that includes: title, medium, dimensions, year, and additional specifics if applicable
§ For Video or Sound work provide URL (such as Vimeo or SoundCloud – with password if necessary) for two pieces
7. One letter of recommendation from a professional individual in the field of your practice. See below
8. $25.00 application fee paid with credit card on-line through the Submittable website.
If you have technical questions about the on-line application process, please contact the Help Desk at Submittable: 855-467-8264. For general questions about the Residency or its application process, email us here.